Labels

Blackberry (4) Blends (1) Blueberry (2) Mead (1) Melomel (1) Mojito (2) Muscadine (1)

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Raspberry/Blackberry Jam PORT

This is my first try at a port and I will attempt this port with all jam. I will use Jack Keller's blackberry Port recipe but will attempt to customize the recipe for jam rather than fresh blackberries.

1. 9 18oz. jars of Great Value seedless blackberry jam.
2. 1 18 oz. jar of Great Value Raspberry jam with seeds
3. 2 full tsp of Pectin to help break down the pectin in the jam
4. 1 full tsp per gallon of yeast nutrient (from experience jam tends to not ferment to complete dryness)
5. 1/2 cup of dry malt extract
6. Sugar to 1.100 OSG and will try to chaptalize at 1.040 and keep records of sugar additions(see below)
7. 1.5 tsp of acid blend

I added enough liquid to start for 1.5 gallons of wine. From experience I know that jam wine leaves a lot of sediment and heavy fluffy lees and so topping off maybe necessary at some point, although I am trying to make this wine as full bodied as possible with very little water added. I added no acid because I plan to keep the water content of this wine low and blackberry is high in acid but I will take a reading and adjust if necessary.

I added all jam and water to 1.5 gal to primary added pectin and yeast nutrient and stirred. Will wait for pectin to have some effect before taking SG and adding sugar and yeast. SG reads WOW 1.800 so no sugar was added. My jam wine usually has a high enough OSG reading that I don't add sugar but since I doubled the amount of jam the OSG readings doubled as well.

1 comment:

  1. Well this turned out so thick it's almost like a thick syrup instead of a wine. The yeast definitely reached it's stopping point. Not even sure if a hydrometer will work in this wine since it's so thick so it will be hard to determine actual gravity. This could possibly be thinned with water and then add brandy or possibly add brandy alone.

    ReplyDelete